Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Year's Day

I don’t like New Year’s resolutions, mostly because I make them, break them, and then never do anything with them. The last time I made New Year’s resolutions, here’s what I resolved to do:

1. Learn to play the guitar. Now this one I really, really tried to do. I paid $200 for 3 months worth of lessons. I actually started to get ok at it, but then I realized I didn’t want to play the guitar, I wanted to be a rock star. I can’t sing (and I didn’t have the money to pay for another 3 months of lessons), so there went that resolution.

2. Lose 25 lbs. The doctor told me that if I did that, I could probably quit using my C-PAP machine and sleep without the mask. Have you seen me lately? I’ve ballooned up quite nicely.

3. I have no clue what the third one was. I know I made three, I know I broke all three, so who cares about the details.

I think the reason that I don’t like the resolutions is that I don’t pick them back up again. I think trying to be healthier will be better for me in the long run, and learning to play the guitar, well, I’ve just always wanted to do that. It sucked when I realized that God hadn’t wired me to play music, but he did give me a love for it. But I think the reason people make those resolutions is because they want to change. They want to be better people in one way or another. I can admire that.

But, what if, we resolved that every day was New Years Day? We’d have the chance to start all over every time we woke up in the morning. If you screwed up on Monday, Tuesday was an opportunity to make it right. Most people I know don’t live like that. They screw up Monday and they walk around the rest of the week worried about what happened. They don’t realize that every day is chance to start all over. One more chance to get back on the track that will lead us to who God created us to be.

Thank you Jesus for second chances.

I believe it's possible
I believe in new beginnings
'Cause I believe in Christmas Day
And Easter morning too
And I'm convinced it's doable
'Cause I believe in second chances
Just the way that I believe in You
- ‘New Year’s Day’, Carolyn Arends.

No comments: